Join our international network of editors to strengthen and sharpen our regional presence in Switzerland.
See German version, here.
As we train students to report on global business and economics stories, trends and phenomena shaping our society today, we believe it is important to bring these stories down to local and regional contexts. Therefore, we seek for an associate editor to guide and manage our coverage of sustainability stories in Switzerland. As a freelancer you will lead our temporary newsrooms (project teams), represent us at key happenings and event invitations, manage media contacts, and build our growing readership in Switzerland and the rest of German-speaking Europe.
Ideal candidates have a passion for the future of journalism in order to explore and incubate new content models with our entrepreneurial media venture. They also share our vision to bring a younger generation’s voice to the mainstream media and influence political debates within circles of private sector and civil society leaders, and economic experts.
Switzerland being our origin, we have strong ties with local institutions here. We regularly cover global conferences based in Switzerland (World Economic Forum, World Resources Forum, Partnering for Global Impact, to name a few), and also look for stories and angles of importance to the Swiss audience when we are reporting abroad (for example, an analysis of Switzerland’s positioning at Rio+20).
Some projects we have in our pipeline for this position are event coverage projects of conferences such as the TBLI conference on impact investing in Zurich, and the World Economic Forum Open Forum in Davos, as well as several smaller conferences and meetings around the country. In addition, we will soon be launching a mediacampaign in partnership with Impact Hub Zürich and the Neue Zürcher Zeitung (Campus) on the “Future of Urban Mobility in Switzerland”.
Responsibilities of Associate Editor, Switzerland:
- Project lead (training and managing of reporter teams, lead editorial work) for our Switzerland projects (see pipeline above). For an example of what this entails, see our previous posting for World Resources Forum 2013 project leads.
- Be our go-to, lead editor for any other stories in this area.
- Foster relationships with Swiss media and partnering institutions.
- Assume overall responsibility for the growth in the readership for coverage in Switzerland and the German speaking region.
Qualifications of Candidate:
- Professional experience in journalism
- Current students, freelancers or part-time employees of all age groups.
- Journalistic writing skills in German is a must, in English a plus.
- Insights in or experience with national, regional and local media outlets in Switzerland.
- Deep interest in topics around business, economics, social innovation and sustainability.
- Project management and editorial experience a plus.
- Project-based payment and also daily rates for editorial work unattached to project. Payment is oriented with freelance editor salaries in the US.
- The freelance position can optionally become a part-time position with the perspective to become fully employed.
- A part-time or full-time position can be either editorial or entrepreneurial as we incorporate as an independent media organization in 2014.
To apply, please send us your CV, portfolio of journalistic or conceptual work, and a brief motivation statement to firstname.lastname@example.org. We are looking to fill the position ASAP.
Feature image source: Photo Courtesy of Wikipedia / Louis Armstrong